Apocalypse Town is live!
The first community event has started!
“Apocalypse Town” is a “Choose-your-own-adventure”-type story that gives you a great opportunity to try out the “Adventure”-type Story-Mode. Each story revolves around one specific type of catastrophe. It could be a natural disaster, a zombie outbreak or you fleeing from the police. The goal is always the same: Find a way to survive/overcome the disaster. Regarding the examples above that would mean to survive or to successfully escape the police.
You can play as yourself or any character you want. The important thing is that (at least most of the time) you are a normal human trying to overcome the given obstacle.
You can find out more on the Story-Page: https://storybat.com/node/119
The first group is already on its way. Will you be part of the next?
Story-Bat Tutorials are rolling out
Here is the list to our playlist on Youtube:
In there, you will find videos explaining the different parts of our website. If you have any questions, ask them here, in Discord or directly under the corresponding Youtube-Video.
4 Tips for finding the time to write
If you find yourself stuck in your writing while arguing that you just don’t find the time to do it, the following tips could help you.
Make a habit out of it
Find the times when and where you write best and try to repeat those conditions. Implement daily routines in which your mind gets prepared to lay down that well-written text.
Have a morning procedure where you write down some ideas and scenes before breakfast. Does a shower give you inspirational thoughts? Reserve some time after each shower to sit down and write.
Just write everything down. Freewriting is a technique to overcome writer’s block. Either type on your keyboard or write everything down with old-school pen and paper.
To try it out: Give yourself a topic to write about, like a scene that you want to finally get to paper. Set your clock to a 10 minute countdown and then jot down as many sentences as fast as possible. Don’t hold back, don’t start to edit and if you get stuck, just write stuff like: “I don’t know what happens next. Could the scene end like that? Or should it …”
When the alarm rings, you may have…
Positive Feedback from Reddit and more bug fixes
The ad on Reddit runs flawlessly and we have received lots of positive feedback from the Reddit-Community!
You can see the comments here: https://www.reddit.com/comments/8z0a8o
I am inmeasurably grateful for the positiv receiption on Reddit and hope this will be our proving ground for gathering a much bigger community! =]
Improvements for the notification functionality (on-site and E-Mails):
- New Story-Pages and -Blocks get correctly referenced by their title instead of an excerpt from the content.
- Links to new Comments for Story-Pages and –Blocks are now displayed in mails. No more guessing where the comment originated.
- @Mentions in comments work with notifications. Now you get properly linked to the location where the “@” was placed
- Setting the E-Mail frequency in your “Settings” to “Never” will now also work for “@”-mentions. No more unsolicited notifications, yay!
Story-Bat is out of beta! (and more updates)
Beta-Phase is officially over
- We can look back at over three successful months of Beta with 99.99% server uptime.
- Some wonderful writers joined our site! Shoutout to @Aegros Dalend , @Naurin , @-Spooky- and @Der Herr Koi
- We eliminated over 100 pesky bugs and made the state more stable overall.
Ads for Story-Bat
I am currently waiting for an approval by Reddit to host my first ever ad for Story-Bat.
The Reddit Ad will be online 15. – 21.07.2018 and cost me about $80.
It will focus on following subreddits:
I am also currently trying to get a post on Imgur trending. IF you have an account there, please upvote following post:
The Snowflake Method (or How to have a good design for your stories)
Today I want to show you a special technique for writing stories that has helped me a lot for my story “Dunkle Energie” (Dark Energy).
Multiple people have come up to me and asked me how to write longer stories. It’s easier to write short stories that are only a few pages long. But as soon as they start writing longer and more elaborate stories, they write themselves into a corner or forget what they have written before.
That’s why I want to show you the Snowflake Method by Randy Ingermanson:
This guide for a story design is a great tool to get some structure into your creativity! You start with some basic sentences, paragraphs and character sheets. And before you know it, you have your first synopsis of your story that gives you a great overview of what you want to tell with this text.
Hit me up with any questions or tell me how it was for you to try out the Snowflake Method! I am really curios about how you would use it. How Ingermanson says: Every writer is different. Take those parts from the Snowflake Method that seem useful to you and forget the rest. Let there be many different Snowflakes in this world!
This took much longer than anticipated but I finally did it!
I don't know if this will be a thing I will do regularly. Like I said in the VLog, we can find out together what works the best for Story.
Please subscribe to our Youtube-Channel for direct updates.
Support scientific research while writing stories
Most of our computers nowadays are better performers than those used for the moon landing. Heck, even our smartphones are superior!
And now imagine how bored your computer is while you write your stories. It can’t render some fancy graphics and doesn’t need to calculate complex operations as long as you are painting a wonderful picture out of words. Wouldn’t it be cool if all of this idle computer power could be used to treat cancer or help stop tuberculosis?
Well, now is your chance: Donate unused CPU cycles to the world community grid!
Please let me explain.
When a researcher wants to … well, do research that involves a lot of computational power, he has basically three options:
- Book a Supercomputer which costs a ton of money
- Do all the computation on his own PC and wait for approximately ten years
- Use Grid computing – a bunch of standard computers worldwide linked together that work on the same problem and send in their results
Story-Bat – Promo-Video
Every good website has a promo-video to broadcast its awesomeness.
And so does Story-Bat now! Please enjoy our short clip. :-]
We would really appreciate it, if you share the video with your friends or talk about Story-Bat on your social-media channels.
What Story-Bat needs the most now is to grow its community. So, bring them over! We have a warm place for every new bat.
Welcome to your new home!
Since this site is new for everyone, I think a little introduction is sensible.
- This is the overview of the site and a big display for user-generated content.
- Ongoing Stories
- Here you will find a list of running stories which you can filter to your liking and a button to jump to a random story.
- Registered users have additionally an option to start creating a completely new story.
- Concluded stories
- In contrast to the Ongoing Stories page, this page lists finished stories or stories that haven’t been updated for a long time.
- Naturally, this table will be empty in the beginning.
- Well, that is where you are right now. Here you will find news about the website, the stories on it and upcoming events.
- About / FAQ
- For (hopefully) any question you might have, you will find an explanation in the About/FAQ-section.
- Support Us
- On this page you will…